Coaching is taken for granted in the world of sport where individuals and teams have a coach to provide motivation, enhance skills and refine performance. Ultimately coaching aims to bring out the best in an individual to enable the team to work better as a whole. The same can be said of business and its leaders.
Coaching works best when used to help individuals address specific professional development issues or to assist when taking on a particularly challenging work role or project.
Coaching provides professional and personal development that is appropriate for those in positions of responsibility, from junior to senior positions. Coaching is driven by the needs of the individual. It is about assisting people to achieve their full potential, with a focus on what they want to achieve now and in the future. It is a partnership between the coach and the individual.
The benefits to the individual include:
- Preparation for role/career changes and progression
- Enhancing personal impact and performance
- Managing change or conflict
In addition to addressing particular issues the business benefits from:
- Greater commitment from staff
- Retention of key people who feel valued
- More creative outlook to business
- Improved communication and/or management of other staff